Thursday 21 October 2010

Greetings from Bunia.....Thursday 21st October.


Dear All.

It hasn’t been possible to get onto the Internet for more than a few minutes in the last 3 days. Apart from everyone being busy, we haven’t had any mains electricity in the house for all Tuesday and most of Wednesday, and none so far today!! John also had problems at the college.

A big tropical storm yesterday afternoon also made the light indoors very dark, and I had to resort to using my ‘headlight’ to continue cutting out and cataloguing the hundreds of flannelgraph characters. These Betty Lucan sets are wonderful and very detailed, and I’m sure the children will love this teaching method, but it will take a lot of organising on the teacher’s part......and I gather the Congolese are not the most organised people! I’m giving the first demonstrations tomorrow to the Director of the Congo Deaf schools, and to the local Sunday school teacher in the French Church. Next week I will demonstrate at the local Deaf School.


Dr Nancy has recovered from her Malaria attack, and I think we will soon be taken to the Shalom University to collect the Swahili Bibles and then discuss the distribution system.

There will also be visits to the Hospital and the new Maternity Unit which was being built when we were here in March. Supplies of the beautifully knitted premature baby cardigans and hats which we brought with us will be taken to them. I hope to get some photos of babies wearing them later on.

This afternoon Nancy and I went to one of the MAF homes to attend a ‘Baby Shower Party’. I had met the mother-to-be in March. She is married to an MAF pilot.

Moses, the gardener, has worked wonders in the garden here since March. We are eating a lot of home grown salads and vegetables. There are also Banana, Papaya and Avocado trees. Moses stands on a shaky corrugated shed roof, holding a 15ft. pole with a knife attached, and slices huge Avocados from high branches!! They fall on the roof with a resounding ‘bong’!!



Over to John now.......

Janice.

Good Evening all.

There has not been much for me to tell up to now. Entering, or rather “importing” book details into a database is not very exciting and doesn’t give one much to tell.

I have been walking to and from the college more as Nancy has been housebound. Three 20 minute walks per day is much more exercise than I am used to but I enjoy it even though one has to watch every step for stones and gullies in the path or road in case you stumble. You also have to be aware of the motorbikes coasting downhill from behind – all you hear is the squeaking suspension!! They take great delight in passing as near to you as possible!

The excitement at work started yesterday afternoon when one of the young men, who was having trouble printing a document from his desktop machine asked to borrow the laptop which will be dedicated to library work to try to print the document. I arrived this morning to find that he had unnecessarily loaded software on to it and with that, viruses which crashed the machine. My data is still there but it will take some work to access it. I will probably bring the laptop home and work on it over the weekend. I identified two “Worms” or something similar on the offending desktop which were consuming all the processing power, leaving so little that there was nothing left for normal work. Another problem was trying to run anti malware software on a machine that is not connected to the internet. They would not let you proceed without updating their databases on the internet!! I left a scan running this evening which I trust will find and destroy the worms or whatever they are!! I think my priority tomorrow (Friday) will be ensuring the machine is clear of viruses and unnecessary files.

We really do appreciate your interest and covet your prayers!

John.

No comments:

Post a Comment