Wednesday 24 March 2010

Monday 22nd March and we only have one more week in DR Congo before beginning our journey back to the UK! In some ways it feels as if we’ve been here for 3 months not 3 weeks!


And oh, what an even MORE amazing morning I have had!!John came with us to the hospital for the first time. After following Dr. Philip’s ward rounds together, we parted company when John declined watching operations, preferring to go with the Physiotherapist on her ward rounds!


 But I went [fully gowned etc] to watch Philip perform an intricate operation to remove a lump from a young woman’s breast. Hopefully it will be benign when the tests are done. The delicate operation techniques were incredible.

I was just watching the nurses preparing the patient to be transferred from the theatre, when Philip came back and said “Come quickly, there’s a caesarean op just starting in the other room”...!! He placed me in THE viewing position...!!?...and oh, my goodness WHAT an amazing experience! [But I’m so glad I’m past child-bearing age!!].The baby wasn’t breathing, but after endless work on him by the senior anaesthetist the baby was able to breathe on his own, and it is hoped he will be OK now. The anaesthetist, Aaron, is the man that gives John lifts on his motorbike!

John told you in the last posting about our sightseeing trip on Sunday afternoon, and one of my photos we’ll add to this will be of a local herd of magnificent African cows with their huge horns. Mind you, I don’t think I’ll look next time a quarter/side of beef is trundled past me on a barrow on its way to the Market butchers!!....You’ll also see the beautiful views of the sky and mountains in the same photo.


Janice.

Hi all.
After a period of uncertainty re our return flight which is on the last day of the BA strike we now have positive information that we can rebook the next  day via Nairobi so that wont be too bad.
Managed to keep it from Janice untill this evening (24th) so not too much worrying.
Must go now and get the power off.

No comments:

Post a Comment