Wednesday 19 February 2014

15th & 17th February 2014



Saturday 15th February 2014

            I was upset this morning when, back in Beni, I found I could still NOT send; but I couldn't receive either! I had a little cry, then prayed in desperation: "PLEASE God let me find a breakthrough....John might have Emailed me some further suggestions, but I can't do ANYTHING unless I receive first!"
            Well, within literally a minute, I suddenly RECEIVED letters, plus suggestions from John.....and the different User name [John's] and password WORKED.....and hey presto, my Emails started winging their way out to you!!!!.....THANK YOU GOD ,and JOHN!!! [so I cried again, tears of joy!!].

            I have now learnt a lot more words of Swahili, and amaze myself at the amount of 'conversation' in French I seem to have dredged up from my school days this time!.....still being told my accent is great, even in Swahili!![There's life in the old girl yet!!]...Photo shows me helping one of the girls with her English school lessons, and practising my Swahili!
        
    It didn't like being presented with a meal of FISH HEADS!!! No, I couldn’t eat a head! [ see photo of meal].
            Couldn't escape the LIVE chicken gift presented to me it into my arms....so lovely and soft and calm to hold! But I eventually transferred it as a 'Thank you gift' to the household where I was staying in Beni.
            We visited the Mission Hospital which was interesting, as well as seeing the new buildings progressing at another site.
            OK....the 5 hour journey back to Bunia yesterday.....It really is an incredible journey, and our driver would beat any of our Rally Cross drivers hands down [ and over worse than any of ours have to negotiate! I find it exciting....and at least in a vehicle with seatbelts!!! [ not in many!]

           One major incident on the way back.....the part broken bridge over a deep river ravine, which caused problems GOING to Beni, was now a HUGE problem.....see the queue of dozens of loaded lorries both ways.....no one can drive over it now....so lorries have been there for days , and will be longer till repaired!!! But our driver knew a little track [and I mean little!] off the road past several lorries, through pretty dense forest, down to the river. He then negotiated with the folk down there to cross it [you give them money on these occasions, I've discovered, so that if you get stuck they will try and push or pull you!!!]  Hair-raising, literally nose-dive down the bank into the river and up the VERY steep and wet, muddy bank and out! Our driver and this 4 by 4 did it in one go!!!! How we and everyone watching cheered! [or we would have been stuck in the lorry queue!]
            So, home to Bunia to a big welcome...and here I am thrilled to be able to send and receive Emails again.....and thanks to all of you who've written.

Monday 17th February 2014
            Hi, everyone...I am sitting on the veranda in the shade from the hot sun!![Sorry for you if UK weather is still awful!]. It is Monday afternoon, and I had a very busy morning at CME the Bunia Mission Hospital. After a very early start, it was meeting Dr. Philip at the Hospital in time for the Doctors and Nurses [those available!] daily morning prayers at 7.30am; then straight into the office for their Night Reporting to the day staff.
            It is the start of my photographic sessions for CME.
I accompanied Philip on his ward rounds and we covered all the wards except Maternity before it was time for him to do 2 operations. He wanted me in to watch the operations, and to photograph as much as I liked before and during the ops......so I did!!! I was all gowned-up, as in previous visits.  I have virtually produced a photographic manual for student surgeons!!!!. The photos of the actual operations in all their gore would not be suitable for general viewing!!! And how is it, I can watch every detail of operations without flinching in REALITY, but would shut my eyes or look away for some of it on TV?!!!!

 
Last Sunday morning the young pastor at the big French Church got into the part of preaching on Daniel Chs. 9 and 10 by dressing up!!....the 1000++congregation were thrilled!! And he gave a superb message too!

No comments:

Post a Comment