Sunday 16 February 2014

Catching up Thursday 13th February 2014



 Tuesday 11th February 2014
            It is now pretty dark/dusk and no lights on yet, this Tuesday evening, but they do have good Solar panels in this house AND electricity...[on now!]
The very large house, (shown in the last Blog posting) looks very grand, but most of the rooms are very basic....including the kitchen. My trot to the toilet/wash room is down 21 stone steps from the top veranda, across the garden , then round the left hand side of the house and then there is a row of 3 washrooms......one has a broken lock, so you have to leave your sandals or something outside! The family have worked hard on the house. Mele's brother Claude has a reasonably good salary by DR Congo standards.

            ALL children help with chores, as I've said before. See 2 and a half year old daughter helping with the daily clothes washing; and she can wring out little socks etc!! I'm always asked to pose for photos with lads in particular....here's me with our amazing driver, Mausa [he is usually smiling, but you have to really ASK them to smile for photos! 

A photo of Ruth and 16 month old Nehemiah [who I often baby-sat for last January]


......and boys playing in the river below this house......today they were all naked and swimming!

            I will close now and see what tomorrow brings. More exhausting in this environment, but everyone is SO welcoming and helpful. And so far I have not seen any other white woman out in all the places I've been! Some look amazed, but all love a wave or greeting!!! Have also realised that all the folk in these 2 homes I've been staying in are younger than my 2 eldest children!!!!! I am Mama....or Grandma [in Swahili] from these Swahili children!

Thursday 13th February 2014
            Life here in Beni has been as hectic and unpredictable as ever. Timing means nothing! We came to the office today with 3 under 3 year olds sitting in the back of the truck. Over those awful rock strewn local roads.....picked up a couple of adults on the way! Mausa was driving slowly, all be it!
Tomorrow we have the 5 hour nonstop journey back to Bunia!! Much as this Beni experience has been 'great' [??] and all the travelling around the area with tours round the Mission Hospital, new building project/hospital, clinics and amazing countryside...I'm so looking forward to being 'back home' in Bunia where I know all the routines! [And have an indoor proper toilet even if you have to use a bucket of water to flush it!!].........enough now; an office chap is now going to oversee if my Emails will go today!

Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment