Sunday 9 February 2014

Update 9th February 2014



(John’s comments in blue!!)

Friday 7th February
            I am sitting on the veranda typing this. It's 5.30pm, and in about half an hour it will suddenly get dark! Solar panel little lights should come on then...and mains electric ones later, if all's well with the power supply!
             This morning I attended the students weekly Worship Service
....with lots of singing by little groups ofstudents. (Picture from earlier visit) I had forgotten the tradition of introducing and welcoming a foreign visitor, so had to be nudged into standing up when the Pastor indicated [in French!] that now was the time!!!! Not sure what was said about me, but there was cheering and applause.....and I managed a few words of thanks in French, saying how happy I am to be here again! [At least, I hope that's what I said!!!....yes, I'm told it was good!!].

            I hope you like the 'stretcher bearers' carrying the huge lumps of rocks....they are trundling about all day long! All seem happy, and I get nice cheers from them as I go around photographing the progress every day, as part of my assignment! Today one man asked me if I was the Manager!!! Director Mele says I should have said yes!! I just said I was "part of the team"!!!
             

 
A woman in one area is employed to cook a daily meal for one group of men.....it could be the grey bricks/blocks-making group. All these are made by hand on site....I know 600 bags of cement have been used so far, and many more of bags of sand. (1 bag of cement + 4 barrows of sand = 30 cement locks)
           
            I am definitely going on the 4-5 hour car journey to Beni on Monday; and Rose and I will stay 2 or 3 days [I don't know which of the many relatives we'll be staying with!!...I know there are other places they want to show me in that part of DR Congo....and it is said I will find an Internet Cafe somewhere there!.....We shall see! So, you may or may not hear from me for some while. Life here can be one round of surprises!

Saturday 8th February
            It is Saturday morning 11.am and I have been out and about with Dr. Nancy since 8.30am. We first called at a large Catholic Complex with Church, and Schools [day, and a Boarding school for boys, a girls boarding school is planned], where Nancy had a meeting with the Director [assistant to the Bishop!] to see about setting up a clinic for Nancy to check staff for Diabetes. 
This is Nancy's speciality, and she travels around to try and get people to come on a set day for tests. He was receptive to the plan. She has recently completed a programme of test clinics for many Pastors and their Wives from a wide area in this part of DRC.

            Congolese folk don't go to a Doctor until they feel really ill, and by then have often been treated by the local Medicine man/woman with stuff that has probably worsened the condition! Nancy tries to encourage people to come BEFORE they are ill, and be tested, then encouraged to go to a Clinic for treatment. Mild or serious they are encouraged to stick to a diet she gives them.....not all do, judging by their continued weight/size!

            We then went to do some shopping in the Market......an experience in shopping!! I love the atmosphere in all the markets and shops! 
            This evening I am out for a meal with Nancy and Philip at a family, Robert and Reta and children, who John also knows well. (Robert is a Director of the College and Rete is a midwife)
            


 After Church tomorrow morning it will be back home for lunch.....and after a short rest, I need to sort and pack for my visit to Beni.....needed to be done before the light fades at 6pm, and if anything like yesterday it could be VERY dark indoors because the electricity failed! The packing will be 'difficult enough' anyway!!

            We ate a meal by a little solar light, not much brighter than a candle! It is SO difficult following conversation in the half-light....all black faces, accents, and you can't see their lips moving!!!! By the way, those that know I got a hearing-aid not long before my trip here, mainly for meetings and/or group type gatherings, it is working VERY well!....
            The internet is VERY, VERY slow this morning.....it is now 11.30 [have had various interruptions!!!] and I may leave my Laptop plugged in here with Nancy if they haven't all been sent by the time I have to return 'home'. Nancy and Philip would bring it back when they collect me for this evening meal. I will close now.
Love and best Wishes,

No comments:

Post a Comment