Sunday 23 February 2014

19th, 20th & 23rd Frbruary 2014



Wednesday 19th February 2014
            I already have some photos from yesterday's visits to the Nursing College ISTM and now another visit to photograph the EXAMS in progress. The exams started earlier this week.  All bags have to be left OUTSIDE for exam time to avoid cheating!

There is also a room set aside for some of the students to stay overnight because of the long way they have travel to the exams which start early in the morning, or because there is no electricity at home to study at night. Mele is not pleased with the fact that this room has MALE and FEMALES in the same room.


Thursday 20th February 2014
            I have elected to have a morning 'off duty' today, my first! So no very early rising to be off out by 7.30am! I need to write up some notes, and get photos into groups for the Hospital and College journal. And maybe relax a little too!
The 'town electricity' has been bad for the last 3 evenings, so not able to charge batteries! It sometimes comes on for an hour or two in the middle of the night, so I leave one item plugged in to get a boost. It charged the laptop a little last night! Oh, and you have to remember to have your bedroom light switched off before going to sleep, or you can get a sudden blast of bright light, right over the bed!! John will remember that from previous visits!
            We had a local Pastor here for a meal yesterday evening, and it is so difficult listening to someone speaking quietly to you, when you can't see if they are even looking at you; and eating by the light of a VERY dim solar powered lantern is almost impossible to spot the MANY fish bones!! So, I try and ignore fish if it's on the menu for dark days!
            I am going out for a meal at the house with Internet this evening, and can go early to do some 'charging of batteries and sending/receiving Emails'! My driver will be coming for me at about 5pm!! Coming back is in pitch dark over the rough roads.....!!Must remember to tell him what time to collect me!
            I have now completed my Hospital photography, and will not be doing the 'walk' again with Dr. Philip, which I've done twice this week [much to some people's consternation!]....I slipped once yesterday on the uphill dusty bank, and Philip had to give me a 'shove upwards' to get me going again!?! 

One photo shows what we've just come DOWN from the Hospital, and where we are halfway UP towards the College, past all the women and children collecting water from the water-hole in the valley!

            The photo shows the baby boy I watched being born...he's about 20 minutes old in this photo with the midwife, Janine, with whom I'll be having a meal this evening ....and SHE is expecting her 4th baby next month!!! No maternity leave here!

The next photo is me with an orphan baby girl who they've named Susan. A premature birth 1 month ago, the Mother was  HIV+, and died at the birth. The baby is beautiful, good size and totally free from HIV.....but the family don't want her because THEY won’t believe it and say "she's going to die!" This is not the usual Congolese attitude, because they are forever taking in orphaned babies and children of relatives, and even neighbours etc. The staff are quite shocked and very sad about this baby, and so far the midwives are keeping her in the Maternity unit. All praying that she will eventually go to a loving family. 
            This photo is a cute fun one, which would have made a sweet video clip! The little girl's family are 'camped' in the grounds to tend to a family member who is a patient, because the family has to cook and provide food, and do washing for the in patients. The little boy's Dad is round the corner by the maternity unit, to visit his wife. The little girl climbed up a huge step, trotted towards the boy who was carrying his jacket....she took it from him; he didn't complain, like I'm sure one of 'ours' would have done!!  She walked back down the path; then turned, and brought it back to him!!!

Sunday 23rd February 2014
            This is my last full day in DR Congo, and I will be on my way back home to UK around lunchtime tomorrow. I've been to Church, and had a meal with Drs. Nancy and Philip. Soon going back to Mele and Rose...no doubt for a celebration evening meal with the family! I have just about found time VERY early this morning to do some packing!
 
            I was taken out for a “thank you” meal by the 3 'main folk' of ISTM College: Director General, Administrator and the Academic Dean!
               I was presented with a gift of a kaftan for me, and a matching shirt for John!!!  I laughed at the usual joke about "thank goodness it's not a live chicken!"....but look at the patterns on the material!!!!!!!
Must stop now and see if I can get this sent quickly. Been here with Dr. Philip while he has 'taken off' all my photos that he wants!
See some of you fairly soon now.....hoping for good flights etc!

No comments:

Post a Comment